Thursday, May 21, 2009

Musings On My "Friday", or How I Have Managed Not To Work While At Work

So I'm sitting at my desk eating Reese's Pieces and completely not focusing while I should be working. {Shhh, don't tell on me...!} I can't focus for a few reasons. First off, my job has been crazy lately. We've had an overload of work and not enough people/hours in the day to clear it up. *I'm absolutely not complaining at all* but it gets discouraging when you just can't catch up! There will be some changes coming up that should help, but for now my mind is wandering off because... ...tonight after work Hubs and I are packing up and heading to lovely Payson, Az for the weekend. Never heard of it? It's a small mountain town about 75 miles NE of Scottsdale and my parents have a home there. It's got that slow-pace feeling of a small town and due to the higher elevation it's cooler than the creeping temps in the Valley. It's amazing that within an hour drive, you can go from cactus and desert to mountains and pine trees. When we go to Payson, we cook elaborate meals, watch movies, play cards, drink wine and sleep. So needed! And this is just perfect for a long weekend getaway since... ...Monday is Hubs' 28th birthday. This past year has been a whirlwind with his final year of law school and the dreaded Bar exam. Everything has turned out well - with his graduation last weekend and the news of the Bar results just before that. I'm looking forward to the next chapter in our lives. Jobs, routine, maybe a trip or two? And, no, we are not talking about k-i-d-s yet (since I know everyone is staring my way now that he's done). I'd like to enjoy having my husband back for a bit before we introduce more change! Ok, enough of my ranting. So in addition to avoiding the piles of work and daydreaming of this weekend, I've been completely sucked into the dear Mojito Maven's book that she's penning. You must check it out on her blog, Make Mine a Mojito. Somewhere In Between Us is a story that came to her in a recurring dream (which obvs inspires the best books, duh - Twilight) and she has developed into a complex and emotionally-charged plot. The main character, Attison, is based on MM's college experience, and at the start we follow her through her first day of college in which she meets the über-cool and attractive Reid. She had me at the Prologue, but has me absolutely hooked throughout the 5 chapters she already has posted. Please check it out and give her some love. I know it takes guts to put yourself out there as she has - and boy am I glad she did. Hats off to the ever-talented MM! Can't wait to see what happens next with Attison and Reid! So I'm off, friends! Do you have big plans for the long weekend? I hope it is lovely for you! xoxo Miss E

4 comments:

Sweet Bea said...

Have fun!!! :)

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Merry Memorial Day weekend! Hope you get some time to relax.

I'm having a very Texas sort of weekend close to home; looking forward to getting that started ASAP.

MissBliss said...

sounds like a fabulous getaway...

I was surprised when I lived in Boulder and how much different the climate and terrain could be in a short drive up in elevation...

sunshine to snow... it was cool.

we have an old friend coming through Miami... should be fun to see her :)

Mojito Maven said...

thanks for the shout out friend!!!! hope you had an awesome memorial day weekend!