Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Too Much To Handle

This morning as I was driving into work, I was listening to the radio. Pretty typical day, right? My favorite morning DJ's were at their usual Wednesday morning madness which consists of Confession Wednesday. People call in and confess their deepest, darkest secrets to win concert tickets. Usually involves affairs with a sister-in-law or illegitimate children. Personally not one of my favorite segments, but generally entertaining nonetheless. This morning there was a guy who confessed to witnessing a murder that took place 21 years ago in Ohio or Kentucky or somewhere. He detailed the whole event, and repeatedly assured us that he did not have anything to do with it (but he threw an egg at the bound and tied naked kid and watched the others throw him into a lake - but the confessor thought the victim would be ok. HE THOUGHT HE WOULD BE OK IN A BODY OF WATER WITH HIS HANDS AND LEGS TIED WITH ROPE...) My point? The guy won Kelly Clarkson concert tickets. Are you FING kidding me? 21 years of heart-wrenching guilt holding this secret all for KELLY CLARKSON TICKETS? What is this world coming to? But there's more... I get to my desk and pull up my usual: email, risk systems, Google Reader, Twitter. I read the devastating news about beautiful Madeline Alice Spohr. {I won't link to the blog since the host has suspended it due to high traffic. Yes, I IM'ed the webhost to voice my complaint on the suspension. The tech was very nice and supportive but assured me there was nothing they could do to unsuspend at this time. Please visit Maddie's March of Dimes website here.} Oh my gosh, this day is too much to handle. I want to go home and crawl back into bed. My heart is simply broken for the Spohr family. The outpouring of love on the web for this poor family is uplifting - and I'm taking comfort in the rising donation amount on Maddie's behalf on the MOD website - her sweet life will be honored and remembered. The March of Dimes is an organization that is near and dear to my heart. One day soon I will tell you about Tatum Rachel, who was taken from us too soon. No, not my child, but the daughter of my very best friend - a friend who is more like a sister to me, a friend who I grew up with so closely that we should have been related. One day soon when I don't want to run back to bed at only 10:00am.

7 comments:

Dugout Daisy said...

There is something seriously wrong with the guy who called in and confessed that for KC concert tickets! really wrong.

Yes, how sad for Maddie. :( I was devastated to read that too. :(

I hope your day gets better.

Jessica said...

So sad! I heard about that, but not all the details. How hard it must be for that family right now, though!

Mrs. Hanson said...

Sweet girl I hope you have beter days ahead! :( Love from Maine! xo

The Cralls said...

I had JJ&R on this morning but was on the phone a majority of the morning so I didn't catch the whole story! What is wrong with people! Their show has been hard to listen to lately with the Spring Break stories of all the "shady" girls (editing out what I really want to call them).

I didn't hear about the Maddie - story...what happened?!

Unknown said...

that radio thing is just awful, a murder confession for concert tickets - does anyone have morals? I can recommend a real morning radio show for you! Just a little bit more worth our time!!

I haven't heard about Madeline...

(and oh yeah, now that I'm an official follower, I thought I'd get updates or alerts hhmmmm maybe I don't have Google Reader.)

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Um, so that radio show story is just too much. Too, too much. Ugh.

I pieced together the Maddie story from Twitter - so sad. I'm so sorry for that family & for your friend's loss as well.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Um, I'm thinking the authorities should have this person's contact information. That's awful.

And, so is the story about Maddie. I hadn't heard about her until now, but there is definitely an outpouring of love and support for a sweet girl.