Monday, May 18, 2009

A Misadventure For You

I realized that for having a title like Miss E's Misadventures, I haven't really shared many of my mis-adventures with you. In honor of rectifying this situation, I have a story for you. Allow me to preface: I'd consider myself a "book smart" chica. I was in honors and advanced classes growing up. I earned two bachelor degrees in my 4 years of college. I always have my nose in a book (or possibly three, depending on my mood). I am not saying this to be boastful; rather, I want you to know I'm not a complete bimbo :) With that being said, am I the most "street smart" chica? No with a capital N. So now for a real life example... Yesterday, Hubs and I went to lunch with my family and then stopped by the local library so I could pick up some books. Sidenote: this is the first time I've stepped foot in the library in 5+ years. I know, I know, it's ridiculous that I haven't been. But in my defense, I get a lot of books from friends (thanks to Sage, D and Lonnie!) that we swap back and forth and I'm never at a loss for books to read. Well since I'm in my little funk - and just haven't found the perfect book to capture my attention - I decided a trip to the library was in order. So, I picked up A Charmed Life and put holds on Dooce's new book and possibly Tori Spelling's Mommywood. Anyway...so behind the library is a bike path that leads to a duck pond maybe 2 miles away. Since we're totally crazy and obviously trying to die of heatstroke we're trying to get our fitness on, we decide to make the trek. Genius that I am, I roll the car key into the foldover waistband of my yoga pants and off we go. I checked for the key up until 5 minutes in and I was dying of thirst throughout the walk. About the time we decided to turn around, I realized that the key was no longer on my person. Me: Uh, honey, I don't have the car key anymore. Hubs: Wait, what? Where did you put it? Me: Well, see I had it rolled in my waistband like this (showing him)... Hubs: Eh, you mean to tell me that you rolled it up in your pants when I have pockets in my shorts? You had to have known it wasn't going to stay there. Me: Um, can we not debate the details here and just focus on the task at hand? (Eyes to the ground, not making eye contact) So we turned around and scoured every inch of pavement that we had just covered. Hubs took it surprisingly well considering this is pretty typical behavior for me I giggled about it the entire way back. Because, really, what was I thinking? Unfortunately for me, the key was never found. (Seriously, where did it go?!?) But with all the entertainment, we forgot how hot and thirsty we were. I had to call my brother to come pick us up from the library. And then borrow my parents car to get us back home for the other set of keys. I don't think I'll ever live that one down. But, oh the misadventure! And, on the upside, I have a new love for my local library and am sure I will revert back to my typical bookworm habits in no time at all. Eh, here's hoping!

***And last but certainly not least, a big thank you for all of your well wishes on Hubs' graduation. Saturday was his commencement ceremony followed by dinner with our families. It was a great celebration to the end of this chapter of our lives. We are very excited for what's to come!***

xoxo Miss E

6 comments:

Lulu said...

Oh girl! You poor thing, I can't imagine going through that in all that heat!!! Big props on the library sitch though, Lonnie must be SO proud! Sorry I've been behind on your blog, trying to rectify that ASAP! Big congrats to The Hubs, can't wait to see pics!
xoxo,
Lulu

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Ack. This absolutely could have been me. My sympathies! On the bright side, at least you're doing your civic & recessionista duties by going to the library.

Sweet Bea said...

HAHAHA you're too funny!!! I'm sorry that you lost your keys and all...but this is seriously hilar. PS - did you check back at the library or any other buildings along the path to see if anyone turned them in??

Jessica said...

We all have our moments!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I totally could have done the same thing. It's not the common sense thing; it's wanting to be independent! At least for me!

MissBliss said...

Love it... would totally do the same thing! That makes sense to me, just roll the key up in your yoga pants waistband ;)